[VHFcontesting] Pointing towards the weak ones

w0eea at sbbco.net w0eea at sbbco.net
Tue Apr 11 06:13:55 EDT 2006

>>  > Zack W9SZ wrote:
> Many times I've experienced a station being quite loud where I was but he
> was running 100 or 500 watts and pointed away from me.  When he finally
> pointed toward me, he could hear me with my 10 watts. Usually at that time
> he'd be 40 over 9 or louder.
>

> Zack W9SZ

This is a common problem for any station that runs high power and big
antennas.
Realizing that we could be driving away new contesters by not being able to
hear
them,  we installed a four stack of big wheels on 2 meters so that we had a
better
chance of hearing 10 and 25 watt stations calling from directions other than
where our stacked yagis are aimed.  Stations that run high power and call
CQ often have a responsibility to be able to hear the answers,  and of
course it
helps your score too.

73,
Jim   W0EEA