[VHFcontesting] Best contesting rig

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Apr 26 12:35:45 EDT 2006

John Geiger (NE0P) wrote:
> Which radio is considered to be the best VHF/UHF contesting radio that covers several bands (at least 2m/70cm/23cm) in one box?  I know that transverters with a good IF rig are probably the best way to go, but it you are limited on space and interconnections and wanted everything in one box, which rig would be the best.  It seems that the choices would be:
>
> Yaesu FT736R (with 6m or 222mhz also available)
> Icom 910H
> Icom 970A/H
> Kenwood TS790
> Kenwood TS2000 (also with 6 meters)
>
> Or if you could get by without 23cm:
> Yaesu FT847
> Yaesu FT726R
> Icom 820H
> Icom 821H
> Kenwood TS780
>
> Opinions on this?
>
> 73s John NE0P

John,

You talking fixed or rover?

I think the choices for most of us would be quite different for each,
for our "dream setup on a budget" since space and power might be at a
premium in most rover's setups.

You start looking at factors like power output level capability built in
to the radios if you're on a budget and doing a rover, to keep space
down.  If you desire 100W without external amplifiers on those "common"
bands, your options just became very limited.

Fixed, you can always add a bigger power supply and an off-board amp.
You might not be able to do that as easily in a rover -- where you might
need to add another battery for handling all the current.

And of course, the REAL thing is antennas... the advice of my first
Elmer always rings true:  "The antenna makes the radio."

Nate WY0X