[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Best contesting rig

T. M. k7xc at charter.net
Thu Apr 27 21:26:35 EDT 2006

Funny, I dont see the IC-746 on that list at all. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

My opinion is that the IC-746 is one of the best radios I have ever used on
HF or VHF.

That comes from one who has been HF and VHF contesting hard and heavy for
the past 20 years.

100% duty cycle transmitter, 100W on ALL bands 160M - 2M, memories,
scanning, filering, DSP, sensitivity, flexibility, awesome receiver, and on
and on and on.. It damn hard to beat it! all for under $1000. Biggest
Complaint? Front panel power pot that controls power out on all bands
instead of software control like in the 706mkIIg.

Speaking of the IC706mkIIg... Not on the list either... Hmmmmmmm....

Use two aftermarket duplexers to split the 2 ports into four, hang a 222
vxtr off the HF port, and you have 4 bands in one small package with a
receiver that really plays. Biggest complaint? The NB is seldom truly
effective. Onboard DSP works well though. A dynamite ROVER package!

My two cents worth....

73s de Tim - K7XC - DM09ol... sk
----

"One who fears limits his activities. Failure is only the opportunity to
more intelligently begin again." -Henry Ford