[VHFcontesting] question about portable operator class

Bob Witte K0NR list at k0nr.com
Sun Aug 20 12:13:28 EDT 2006

Someone wrote:
> Subject: Re: [VHFcontesting] question about portable operator class
> To: vhfcontesting at contesting.com
>
> In a message dated 8/18/06 6:04:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
> ku4bp at triad.rr.com writes:
>
> <<  From reading the rules, looks like 10 watts PEP or
>  less, portable power source and portable antennas = portable operator class.
>

> Unless you're out to win a plaque I'd run all the power you can. Go 100 watts
> or better on 6 and 2. No sense suffering.
>
> :^]
>
> John K9RZZ

It depends on your objective and personal preferences. I agree that
having 100W (or more!) will get you more contacts and grids. On the
other hand, I've had a really good time doing the QRP (I mean, Single
Operator Portable) approach.

Why would you want to do QRP?....there are several different answers:
  - just because (that old QRP "what can I do on low power?" challenge)
  - with the ARRL rules, it puts you in competition with other portable
stations (only), not the big stations at home
  - simplifies the portable power issue (smaller battery, etc.)
  - you can go "backpack portable" and hike to a great spot

Your mileage may vary. Personal preference applies. Just be sure to have
fun!

Note that there is a VHFQRP list on yahoo groups: