[VHFcontesting] June 06 VHF QSO Party LCRs now available

K2DRH Bob N2KMA Fran k2drh at sanasys.com
Wed Dec 20 23:01:02 EST 2006

 LCRs (log-checking reports) for the ARRL June 06 VHF QSO Party are now
available on the ARRL website to members only.   This is the first time to
my knowledge this information has ever been made available for a VHF
contest.  While there seems to be a few small glitches in the log checking,
it's pretty darn good and very informative to know how your log compares to
others.

Some of the local SMC VHFers have noticed that several QSO's that we lost,
we all had in common, and  these were actually due to other stations' log
errors.  One station apparently gave out his correct grid in the contest but
somehow had the wrong one in his log invalidating every contact anyone made
with him (but apparently not his own).  Another station typed his own call
incorrectly in his logger program (a classic zero for O swap) and caused a
similar problem!  I lost several QSOs from rovers that for some reson didn't
log one band as we ran through them, and others from multiops that didn't
log band QSOs I'm sure we made.  In fact no QSOs with any SO stations were
NIL.  I realize that rovers have the toughest logging conditions and can
inadvertantly miss a few, but I'd never thought that multis would have that
challenge too.  The ones on the higher bands really hurt since they cost an
additional QSO penalty from that band too!  In my case two of these were
also mults (ouch)!  On the other hand I busted several calls all on my own,
one of them an incredibly stupid typo since it was from a WSJT sked (DOH!)!
While the LCR report notes the dupes and uniques, there is no penalty for
them ... unless they are excessive.  I leave the dupes in my log so others
can still get credit for the QSO if they forgot to log it the first time,
but don't count them in the claimed score.

In the report the ARRL gives my error tally as:
       7 (0.6%) calls copied incorrectly
       1 (0.1%) exchanges copied incorrectly
       8 (0.7%) not in log

98.6% accuracy ... 16 out of 1212 QSOs flagged.  While over half these
errors would not have been assessed had other stations logged accurately,
I'm still very pleased with this result even though it reduced my score by
over 20K.  It sure doesn't take much!   Lets hope the ARRL makes this VHF
LCR a habit so we can see where we make our mistakes and learn from them!

73 de Bob K2DRH