[VHFcontesting] DEM 432-38 Receive Problems Part 2

Jimk8mr@aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Mon Jan 16 19:49:14 EST 2006

A week ago I posted a query about intermodulation problems with the  Downeast
Microwave DEM 432-28 transverter.  Today I was able to borrow a  spectrum
analyzer to provide some more details of the problem signals.

The TV carrier on 525.26 (channel 23 video) is about -45 to -40 dbm for  most
beam headings, with peaks at about -35 dbm.  Due to this being well  off the
design frequency of the 432 yagi, the lobes and (deeper) nulls are in  rather
random directions.

The FM station on 93.1 ranges between -55 dbm and -45 dbm in most
directions.  Again, the variations are not related to nominal beam  headings, and there
are nulls down to about -30 below the peak directions.

I was surprised that the well reputed DEM stuff would have these problems,
but perhaps this out of band intermod was not a design consideration.   There
appears to be no particular bandpass filtering on the input, with the  GaAsFet
preamp and one MMIC before the internal helical resonators.

The bad frequency pairs, giving an image center frequency on 432.15, are TV
Channel 23 (525.25MHz) and FM 93.1 (my problem); Channel 24 (531.25) and FM
99.1; and Channel 25 (537.25) and FM 105.1.  With the 200 KHz spacing for  FM
stations, the next lower FM channel could cause problems at the very low end
of the 432 band, but probably would not be noticed up in the normally used
areas  of the band.

For me it could have been worse:  the nearby FM station on 95.5  generates an
image on 429.76 that is about 25 db stronger than the one on  432.16.

I'd also be concerned with digital TV stations on channels 22 through 25
(518-542 MHz) mixing with FM stations.  I suspect you'd probably never know  what
was hitting you, just that your noise floor has gone up in a lot of random
directions.

But in a way all is now well for me.  I bought a DCI 435-10 bandpass  filter,
about $140 from AES, and the band is now clean.  With that I  hope I will be
able to work lots of you this weekend from here in  EN91!

73  -  Jim   K8MR

In a message dated 1/8/2006 1:24:53 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,