[VHFcontesting] Banning The Use Of 144.200 MHz During Contests

Ron Klimas WZ1V wz1v at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 21 09:49:07 EDT 2006

Jim and others, my thoughts about this:
I don't hear any widespread "abuse" of 144.200 per se during contests here
in New England. A couple questions to ponder:

1. Who's complaining about this (what geographic area(s) and what's the
population density of those area(s)?
note: I've heard contesters in low population areas say if you don't call
CQ on 144.2 you don't work anyone!
I've also heard the other 3 hams living within 100 miles of that steadfast
144.2 contester say they feel shut out.
When someone in the Northeast tries this, they have 100 other hams living
within 100 miles applying peer-pressure to discourage it. Well sort of,
which brings the next question to mind.

2. Define 144.200. We're using non-channelized modes here, SSB and CW. Does
it matter if someone tries to monopolize 144.198? How about 142.202? I can
tell you there are several high power stations near me doing this every
contest! It makes 144.200 as unusable as if they were right on it.

3. Define abuse. Is it abuse if someone stays on 144.200 for more than 10
minutes? How about for more than an hour? More than a day?  I find it
productive to spend some time calling on 144.200, especially on Sunday
night to grab the ones who never turn their dials! I find several others
doing this. If everyone gets their 10 minutes to an hour to play, is it a
problem or is it actually beneficial?

4. If the committee thinks it's a problem, what would you do about it? Is
this something that's even enforceable?  Even if you decide to outlaw
144.2, would it do any good? Would it do more harm than good? Would it stop
the folks on 144.198 or .202? How about the people who are convinced rules
are meant to broken? If you can't enforce it what's the point?

Personally, if I were tasked to do something about this:
I'd lean towards adding language like "the exclusive use of 144.200 and
it's guard bands should be discouraged".
And what about 432.100? 222.100? 50.125?
-73, Ron WZ1V, FN31