[VHFcontesting] Banning The Use Of 144.200 MHz During Contests

wbr/wf4r wbr at verizon.net
Wed Jun 21 16:49:06 EDT 2006

I don't often have much to say, but this seems to be a very troubling issue.

 Sometimes when conditions are poor or very poor it seems that this may be
the only place you can hear anyone at all.  Especially if you're in the
boondocks.  When condx are poor it is sort of a safe haven to call cq and
expect to hear someone you have not worked.  If you're one of the "big guns"
there is no need to tie up 144.200 people will hear you when tuning.  Not
every station tunes the band to cull contacts because they have a big enough
station that others seek them and hear them well.  I personally like to stay
away from the calling frequency because sometimes you can get tied up there
longer than you'd like and before you know it someone complains that you're
tying up the calling frequency.
     I don't believe that there is any way to keep people from tying up the
calling frequency during a contest other than disallowing it all together.
So, to make it "fair" for everyone the calling frequency could easily be off
limits to all during a contest.  But what if you're not interested in the
contest?  Does that mean that someone not in the contest could not call cq
on the calling frequency?  And if they're not in the contest how do you keep
a contester from answering and counting them as a point?  One does not need
to specify what frequency was used to make the contact.  Maybe one could
answer a call on the calling frequency but be required to make the required
exchange on another frequency.(?)  There is no provision in Cabrillo format
to state what specific frequency was being used.
    I suppose as time goes by, contesters would get used to not using the
calling frequency much like ignoring 146.52 because of it being the national
calling frequency on fm.  But really, how many VHF contesters utilize the FM
mode?  I dare say not many.  So it would be a little difficult at first to
get used to.  But then, how close can one get to 144.200 and still not be on
the "calling frequency"  If you're more that 100 Hz off frequency it's very
difficult to understand someone on SSB.  Would guard bands need to be in
place? + /- 5 KHz?
    What? don't tell me, I'm guessing that we have another "Pandora's Box"
situation here?  73, Bill, WF4R