[VHFcontesting] VU(C)AC and VHF/UHF Contest Practives

John (JK) Kalenowsky, K9JK k9jk73 at msn.com
Wed Jun 21 10:35:18 EDT 2006

Personally, I'd like to thank Jim for putting up this "lightning rod" and
including the VHF Contesting Reflector as one of the places.

Basically I agree with the other posters...the "we" need to understand WHY
"this" has emerged as the "first" challenge for the VUAC (which I think
should be the VUCAC but that's my view) and these answers/reasons *might*
guide our general thinking in responding to the question.

WithOUT that additional info, my answer to "A" is No, period. To "B", I do
feel that a FAQ page, or "Best Practices" ("Appropriate Practices"?) web
page might be helpful. I'd suggest that such a page should address ALL
calling frequencies and ALSO include items such as the "DX Window" on 50 MHz
and not be limited to "just" the two meter SSB calling frequency.

"We" (the VHF/UHF Contesting "Community") should ALSO consider "peer"
pressure...while it is "tough" to give up the points by NOT working that guy
who "parks" on (or near) the calling frequency and is there 50%, 60%, 70% of
the contest period...don't work that station. I chose NOT to work a
"stateside" station who was calling CQ in the DX Window during this most
recent June contest...UN-fortunately, that station probably doesn't know it.
I don't mind someone giving an occasional call on the "calling frequency"
(as a Rover, I do it myself, ESPECIALLY when I first arrive in a different
Grid Square and before I leave a Grid Square)...just don't "dominate" the
calling frequency...and if activity picks up, check for another CLEAR
frequency up or down a bit and announce that you are going there...folks who
have heard you will follow, and there may very well be a better chance of
completing a QSO on a less congested frequency.

And while Jim requested no long diatribes about the ARRL (so I'll keep this
short), I, too, am disappointed that the final formation and membership of
this VUCAC has not been generally announced, at least not that I have seen.
WithOUT such an announcement, how are "we" to know WHO the VUCAC
representative is for our division.

I have collected *some* information, which I don't know to be completely
accurate so take it for what it's worth...Lauren Libby, W0LD, from Rocky
Mountain Division, is the Chair. Jon Platt, W0ZQ, is Dakota Division rep.
Kermit Carlson, W9XA, is Central Division rep. Jim has identified himself as
Southeastern Division rep. By my count, that leaves 11 division reps unknown
(to me anyway).

73, JK