[VHFcontesting] VUAC

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Wed Jun 21 22:47:46 EDT 2006

Thanks to everyone for the somewhat overwhelming response!  All of your
comments have been helpful.  I have noticed a few common questions in many
of the responses so I thought I would address those in a single email.

The VHF UHF Advisory Committee (VUAC) was formed by the ARRL board several
months ago.  It consists of representatives from each of the ARRL divisions.
I am the representative for the Southeastern Division (Florida, Georgia,
Alabama and Puerto Rico).  We have just recently begun operation having
taken several months to get all the representatives lined up.  Now to
explain who we are and how things work. First you need to understand that we
are an ADVISORY committee.  As such we report to a STANDING committee of the
ARRL board.  In our case that is the Programs and Services Committee.  Our
charter is to study issues and topics with regards to VHF/UHF/Microwave
contesting and make recommendations.  Note that we do not make decisions
just recommendations.  As an advisory committee we do not set our own
agenda.  We can propose topics for study but in the end the Programs and
Services Committee sets the agenda and makes the decisions.  Many folks
asked where the 144.200 MHz calling frequency issue came from, why are you
studying that, that is a waste of time, etc.  It was assigned to us by the
Programs and Services Committee.  I suggest that you direct those comments
and questions to that committee.  If there is something you think we should
be studying we would certainly like to hear from you and we can propose it
to the Programs and Services Committee but you might also want to consider
taking it directly to that committee.

Another question that was asked was who is on the VUAC.  The following is a
list of all the members.  I didn't include any contact info because of the
open nature of this forum but I am sure if you want to talk to your
representative you can find a way.

Atlantic - Joe Taylor, K1JT
Central - Kermit Carlson, W9XA
Dakota - Jon Platt, W0ZQ
Delta - Steve Clark, AG4V
Great Lakes -Mark Dabish, K8MD
Hudson - Frederick Lass, K2TR
Midwest - Mike King, KM0T
New England - Ed Parish, K1EP
Northwestern - Jim Aguirre, W7DHC
Pacific - Len Gwinn, WA6KLK

Roanoke - Paul Judson, K4IRT
Rocky Mountain - Lauren Libby, W0LD (Chairman)
Southeastern - Jim Worsham, W4KXY
Southwestern - Wayne Overbeck, N6NB
West Gulf - Connie Marshall, K5CM

I hope that this answers at least some of your questions.

73
Jim, W4KXY