[VHFcontesting] VUAC

Bruce Herrick bdh at teleport.com
Thu Jun 22 01:22:44 EDT 2006

Hi Jim

My first response is, "IT AIN'T BROKE!  PLEASE DON'T "TRY" TO FIX IT!"

Things have a bad habit of getting much worse when a non-problem becomes
a problem to some who aren't even involved.  See the original rover
rules debate for a bad example.  We still haven't recovered from that
debacle.

> The VHF UHF Advisory Committee (VUAC) was formed by the ARRL board
> several months ago.  It consists of representatives from each of the
> ARRL divisions. I am the representative for the Southeastern Division
> (Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Puerto Rico).

I am curious as to who gets to select these members.  Did you have input
from the contest community, or are these just "patronage" positions like
some of the CAC members have been in the past?

> First you need to understand that we are an ADVISORY committee.  As
> such we report to a STANDING committee of the ARRL board.  In our
> case that is the Programs and Services Committee.
<snip>
 > We can propose topics for study but in the end the Programs
 > and Services Committee sets the agenda and makes the decisions.

Perhaps what we need here in addition to the list of VUAC members is a
list of the members of the Programs and Services Committee.

73,

Bruce WW1M