[VHFcontesting] Field Day is not a contest

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Mon Jun 26 16:57:16 EDT 2006

That lets you make it whatever you want it to be.  Ours was sort of a
mixture of both.  We had quite a few brand-new hams who were put in front
of a microphone and allowed to make some QSO's. (Well, it was almost more
than "allowed."  We twisted a couple arms to get them to try it.)  Those
contesters of us who were around gave them some pointers and help. Those
were mostly in the day on Saturday and on Sunday morning. It was almost
painful to watch them, but the "coaches" did a really good job of being
patient and Elmering them.

We had a cookout on Saturday evening.  That was more of a social event,
with all radio operations ceasing for an hour or so.

After it got dark and the new people were gone, a few of us contesters
settled in to crank out QSO's for a while. I was on 40 CW.  I had a run
going for a while on 7031.

73, Zack W9SZ