[VHFcontesting] poll

Ron Hooper w4wa at alltel.net
Sat Nov 4 08:24:29 EST 2006

> That being said I think its even more important for the arrl to sponser
> more
> vhf contests or we should get together and do it ourselves. Contests with
> differnt guidelines, ect.. and we or the arrl should not be afraud to fail
> as long as we learn from our failures.

Frank

I agree with you on the fact that we can not expect ARRL to do much if
anything to address certain contest rule changes mentioned in the survey. We
have been through many of the survey issues before over the years and they
keep coming back up.

My personal feeling is that the ARRL would like to discontinue supporting
contest, eliminating the need to compile scores and publish results. The
contester represents a very small percentage of the league membership so I
understand the business economics to cut operating cost.

Can we do it ourselves better? I think the answer to that question is yes.
Perhaps if we negotiated with the ARRL and took on the responsibility of
doing the work, they would be agreeable to out source the management and
simply print the articles. You got to remember there are many contest, not
just VHF. Perhaps a pilot program using a VHF contest is a way to find out
if it will work.

73 Ron
W4WA