[VHFcontesting] poll

Ron Hooper w4wa at alltel.net
Sun Nov 5 07:19:17 EST 2006

> For reasons of editorial control, I think that the ARRL won't outsource
> the running of the contests.  The question for me is: Can there be other
> successful contests for VHF+outside of the ARRL sponsored contests?
>
> Erich
> KA6AMD

I think the nightmare of changing the rules currently is the contest logging
software updates. IMHO, I think the software could be supplied by the
contest sponsor and made shareware to members or minimal cost to anyone for
downloading from the Internet. This would insure that any changes are
incorporated for each category and event. The contest sponsors could request
the current software suppliers to bid on the project to help keep cost down.

Personally, I would like to see distance between grids calculated into the
score, additional points for cw contacts and more points per contact on the
less used bands like 222 and 902. I am sure there are a lot of other things
that could be done to increase activity and promote contesting but it is
going to involve changing the rules/software by contesters that has this
vision and with support of the sponsor.

Ron