[VHFcontesting] Captive Roving...whatever that is, really

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Nov 7 15:12:01 EST 2006

Ev Tupis wrote:

> ON THE OTHER HAND, if contest sponsors would *publish* a "% unique Callsigns" statistic along with the line scores, I'd bet that the "court of public opinion" would act like garlic to a vampire and cast such behavior to the depths of Hades.

During years when 6m doesn't open out here in the wide-open land of
Colorado, ALL of our so-called "unique callsign scores" which Ev
recommends, will suck.

We'll work the same 10-20 guys all weekend, on as many bands as we have
and realize that the contest for that year is the usual "whoever has the
most bands wins", and go home happy, like we usually do.

Because it's fun.

Compared with the "target rich environments" of the coasts, we'll
probably always look bad on that made-up (and ultimately useless for
here) statistic, out here in the wide open West.  Except when 6m opens.

For those of us that go out in the middle of nowhere, we'd really like
folks to seriously think about not worrying about the "self-spotting"
aspects of APRS via digis, and let us rovers run it for safety,
publicity, and fun, as well...

I would really LIKE to be "self-spotted" if I drive off the road into a
ditch and hurt myself.

Not to mention that I had at least 20 non-hams interested in folowing my
progress this year on the various online maps, until I realized that
running APRS would disqualify me.  It was looking to be pretty good "PR"
for our hobby up until the point a kind friend warned me that APRS via a
digi system would be considered self-spotting.

Meanwhile the ops sitting at home in comfy leather chairs, big pot of
coffee, big desk for writing, fancy gear for listening and talking, and
a good bed to sleep in (if they want to) or at least an easy chair...
have their spotting networks and Internet toys and real-time logging
tools and ... talk about spoiled!  (GRIN)

Anything at all to encourage roving - anything.  There were less than
100 of us NATIONWIDE, if I'm reading the data from ARRL correctly.  Less
than 100 rovers in a nationwide contest, and HOW MANY FT-100D's,
FT-857's, and other rigs capable of VHF/UHF SSB sold in the last few
years?!  Come ON.  You guys want better scores, more fun, and more
contacts?  Make *SURE* you figure out a way to get Joe Ham with an
FT-857D out in his car and driving next June.

Probably the #1 thing that would encourage roving would be to have a
"FT-100D/FT-857" type of class that only encourages VHF/UHF operation
for rovers that only have a single commonly available VHF/UHF all-mode
radio.  There are A LOT of poor hams who simply can't afford an
all-band, all-mode push for their first roving experience.

I'd grid-circle them, pack-rove with them, buy them lunch (or share my
powerbars with them, at least!), massage their tired butts (HA! Ok, not
THAT!), call their wives and make excuses for them... I don't care!
WHATEVER.

Whatever would get them to have a GREAT time, get a good score they
could be proud of, and COME BACK NEXT YEAR AND ROVE AGAIN... maybe with
more bands!

Hell, I'll even help 'em hook up the radios and loan them gear and ask
them to be captive rover-to-rover!  (Just kidding, of course.  Trying to
make light of that stupid tired argument.)

You guys need to come on out to the mountains and get away from all that
bitter, nasty, grumpyness you all seem to have on the coasts... and all
these forever-arguments about the rules.  There's nothing that'll put a
smile on your face faster than working 10 GHz from 14,000' on top of
Pikes Peak.

For your viewing pleasure... a beautiful sunny day in Colorado:
http://www.pikespeakcam.com/

My $0.02 minus taxes, shipping and handling...

Nate WY0X