[VHFcontesting] Compare: IARU Region 1 6-meter Contest

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 19:34:58 EST 2006

As we think in terms of a new breed of contest, lets examine how things are done "over there".  Here are excerpts from the IARU Region 1 VHF Guidebook as regard their "IARU Region 1 50-MHz Contest".  I like a LOT of what I see, fwiw.

Ev, W2EV

Categories:
1. Single Operator, no assistance
2. Everyone else

Date:
1. Third Saturday of June
2. 24-hours starting 1400z

Contacts:
1. Each station may be worked for contest credit only once (even if it is a rover)
2. If worked again only one contact will count.  0-point dupes should be logged.
3. Only simplex contacts count
4. Telephone contacts must not occur in the telegraphy sub-band

Emissions:
1. A1A
2. J3E
3. F3E (G3E)

Exchange:
1. RS, Serial Number, Grid6
2. RST, Serial Number, Grid6

Scoring:
1. 1-point per DX km, truncated to an integer plus 1, calculated center-to-center of the Grid6's.
2. Exchanging Grid4 makes the contact invalid.
3. Distance calculations are based on sherical geometery using a "degree to km conversion" of 111.2.

Penalties:
1. Entrants deliverately contravening any of these rules or flagrantly disregarding IARU Region 1 bandplans shall be disqualified on monitoring.
2. The claimed contact will be disqualified for any error in the informatoin logged by the station.
3. Claiming points for a duplicate contact will be penalized by deducting ten times the number ofpoints claimed for that duplicate contact from the score.
4. any errors in the logged information will result in the loss of all points for that contact by the receiving station.

Footnote: Each VHF Manager and/or national Contest Committee shall be responsible for monitoring during contests.  Additional monitoring statoins may be appointed but these stationsmay not take part in the contest.