[VHFcontesting] HamIM/APRS and Non-ham observers [was: Captive Roving...]

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 18:10:56 EST 2006

Hi Nate,

HamIM is is a technology/strategy that works only when others use it too.  It will start out slowly in a given area.  Don't let it discourage you.  Others will join-in over time.  Once others use it too, it becomes an a-w-e-s-o-m-e resource.

Using HamIM...
... with an attached GPS in my rover, I've had home stations send me IM's as I approached known hilltops.
... I've found Rovers as they were "just passing through" on their way to other operating locations (I'd have missed them in my own grid otherwise)
... I've IM'd them to setup "yet another" try on a band that I missed them on (the IM window stays open until they close it)

There's more, but you catch the drift.  Ultimately, you have to experience it for yourself because no amount of describing it can convey the fun of using it otherwise.

Ev, W2EV