[VHFcontesting] Compare: IARU Region 1 6-meter Contest

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 9 23:30:41 EST 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Dan_K9ZF <n9rla at yahoo.com>
How about a an option to log the center of the 4 digit grid in case the 6 digit grid is not known?  So if I work a station in EM78 that doesn't know his 6 digit, I can log him as EM78gg or whatever the actual center is:-)  This will "mis-calculate" the score a bit, but might help solve the transition to 6 digit grids...

Hi Dan,
It is important for participants to log only what they are told by the DX station (don't synthesize, only report).  I think that the center of a grid is "LL" (e.g. - EM78LL).  The trick is to get the DX station to send you EM78LL rather than EM78 and you're golden.  Try to educate them and convince them to send "LL" until they find out what their real sub-square is (for the next contest).  If you're unsuccessful, then it needs to be a NIL.  It's the only way that I can think of to maintain the integrity of the logged data.

I'm still thinking over the proposal about weighting QSO values based on band.  There are Pro's and Con's each way.
Interesting thoughts, Dan!
Ev, W2EV