[VHFcontesting] Missing Rover Response

John Geiger aa5jg at lcisp.com
Wed Aug 8 20:37:46 EDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Agsten" <w4txs at yahoo.com>

>   As far as rule changes go, here are a few that I'd like to see:
>
>   1) A single op rover category......they do it for high and low power
fixed single ops. A single op rover is at a real disadvantage over a two man
team. We don't really need the high/low power thing for rovers.

Not a bad idea. Having to drive and operate (which is what I do much of the
time while roving) is definitely different than having a dedicated driver.

>   2) Use of APRS for rovers to transmit their positions. I don't see where
this would be much different from a fixed station knowing where to point
antennas towards another fixed station.

Please, nothing more to promote APRS, it is ruining VHF as it is.

   3) Perhaps some single band or group of bands categories to level the
playing field for those who can't afford or have the room/capability for 10+
bands. I'm thinking that there are some competitive guys out there,
interested in VHF or VHF/UHF contesting, but figure they can't compete with
stations that have SHF+ frequencies. Think about all the TS-2000, IC-7000,
IC-706, FT-736, etc. radios out there. I'm guessing a lot of them never get
on the low end of 2 or 432. If we want to build up the number or
participants in the VHF and above contests, we need to make it appealing to
those folks.

We have limited mulitops (with up to 4 bands) why not limited single ops?
Never could understand why they did it for multiops but not single ops.

73s John AA5JG