[VHFcontesting] Missing Rover Response

Dave Agsten w4txs at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 8 20:10:12 EDT 2007

I've had quite a few guys wonder what I was referring to when I mentioned rules changes, so here I go. No more stuff about a VHF contest being a real VHF contest but let's call it a 50Mhz and up contest. Enough on that.......

  First, I too wonder what Black Hole the VHF survey from quite awhile ago disappeared into??? ( Part of the reason for the "deaf ears in Newington" comment) The VHF guys tried to suggest things the way the "Radio Politics" in Newington seem to dictate, but nothing much has been heard from them or the VHF/UHF Advisory Panel. ( Or whatever they call themsleves)

  As far as rule changes go, here are a few that I'd like to see:

  1) A single op rover category......they do it for high and low power fixed single ops. A single op rover is at a real disadvantage over a two man team. We don't really need the high/low power thing for rovers.

  2) Use of APRS for rovers to transmit their positions. I don't see where this would be much different from a fixed station knowing where to point antennas towards another fixed station. It shouldn't change the operating class for the fixed stations or rovers that use it either.

  3) Perhaps some single band or group of bands categories to level the playing field for those who can't afford or have the room/capability for 10+ bands. I'm thinking that there are some competitive guys out there, interested in VHF or VHF/UHF contesting, but figure they can't compete with stations that have SHF+ frequencies. Think about all the TS-2000, IC-7000, IC-706, FT-736, etc. radios out there. I'm guessing a lot of them never get on the low end of 2 or 432. If we want to build up the number or participants in the VHF and above contests, we need to make it appealing to those folks.

  Pretty simple changes if you ask me. There were others too that sounded good, but the survey seems to have disappeared.

  73 to all,
  Dave N8AG, ex W4TXS/R, ex KK4QY/R and ex WB1CJT fixed station de NH,  early 80s

  PS: Also, how about QST devoting a couple of pages to publish full contest results like they use to? No just for VHF+ contesting, but all ARRL contests. They could still get all of their advertising in.........