[VHFcontesting] Speed Dating with a Scorecard

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 9 06:04:23 EDT 2007

I really feel sorry for the ARRL's VUAC and whatever committee it now reports to at the ARRL.  They are faced with a politically no-win situation as everyone chimes in with their input.  Asking for input infers nothing.  There is no promise for change, it is simply a request for communication.

I made the mistake several years ago of thinking that Amateur Radio Contests  are akin to sports competitions.  They are plainly not (at least the way that they are run today).  They are more like a wireless version of speed dating, with a "rate your date" score card.

* We want things "fair".  So do us ugly people, when it comes to dating.
* We want things "level".  So do us poor people, when it comes to taking dates out for a night on the town.
* We want dumb rules changed. So do us non-gliteratti, when we try to get into the popular clubs.

To "compete" we must be social.  We must draw attention to ourselves and get others to react positively (a little splash of cologne (or is that "speech processor"), but not TOO much!).

I vote for small, measured change-steps (if any at all) by those who own the event.  The ones that "make sense to me" are those that bring harmony to an organization's core philosophies (where that harmony is lacking -- a topic of another thread).

Wholesale changes in the way that things work can be devastating to those who - despite the inequities - have figured out how to get a date... er... I mean "compete".

I guess it's time to take my wife out on the town for an evening of fun and frolic. :)

Ev, W2EV