[VHFcontesting] APRS and Contesting

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 10 06:20:57 EDT 2007

Note, that I've left the Subject intact, in case there are those who wish to ignore it. :)

One of the benefits of on-list discussions is that it affords an opportunity to learn from others.  After which we can make individual choices as to what to to with that information.  With that in mind, I'll attempt to address some of the items that folks have brought up.  My intent is to open free thought on the topic.

My information is from the perspective of being the person who actually engaged the ARRL Contest Desk in conversations on the topic and whose results were posted by THEM to various contest lists, publicly (it's all in the public archives if anyone wanted to find them).  They publicly stated (to several e-mail lists, by the way) that HamIM (at the time, it was referred to as BEACONet because it was originally conceived as a repetitively IDing rover "beacon") was an APPROVED strategy.  (caps for emphasis, I'm not shouting).

With that behind us...here goes....

1. "Pardon the sarcasm, but the folks that would like to see APRS used want to see it used FOR the specific abilities you have called out below." (referencing the configuration changes that would be necessary in order to use APRS in ARRL contests)

1a.Then "folks" wish to operate (1) Assisted, (2) Using non-Amateur means of communication, (3) with more than one signal per band in clear violation of the rules. :)  There are ways to get similar benefits without violating those rules.  That is what I meant when I said that there are operators who have learned strategies to be successful (like us ugly people who figure out how to get noticed in a crowd of pretty people <g>).

2. "Using it for spotting rovers when it requires every fixed station contester to get a new 2m radio, add a dedicated 2m antenna for receiving, a new TNC and effectively limit the range down to 100miles defeats the purpose of asking for the ability to use it."

2a. "Spotting" never occurs.  That is a word used to describe what happens when an operator communicates information to others that those people didn't gather themselves.  This is no more "spotting" than using a CW or voice keyer to call "CQ".  One simply allows a TNC to do it for them instead.

2b. Yes, it requires equipment.  The cheapest on the market: 2-meter FM.  Cost-benefit?  Cost of a commercial 47 GHz transverter, dish, etc?  $1000.  Benefit to the score of a small/medium contester? :)

2c. I would *love* to work every rover from every grid in 100 miles.  Especially when I know that once I get their attention, I can work 'em up the bands.  For many reasons, I miss even close-in rovers.  Not the one's with HamIM, though.

By the way, all I've spoken about is "ARRL Contest legality" issues.  There are strategy issues that come into play that I'll talk about shortly.  They help to mitigate many things.  Stay tuned if you're interested.  That discussion may help to remove much of the "mystery" and "misunderstandings".

Ev, W2EV