[VHFcontesting] Dc Power conversion for rovers

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Thu Aug 30 19:34:06 EDT 2007

Yes, my FT897D acts up when the voltage drops below about 12.5 volts.

My Icom 746 is even worse.  It starts dropping power below 13 volts.
By 12 volts, I down from 100 watts out to around 25 ~ 30 watts out!

I would love to have one of the accuvolts, but it's way out of my budget.

I've considered running batteries in series, then regulating them back
as someone suggested.  But I'm guessing the power lost in the regulation
would be excessive.

The plan now is to build my own "accuvolt"...  There is a construction
article on the ARRL site.  Now if I can just find one of those
round-tuits....

73
Dan
--