[VHFcontesting] New VHF+ contest rules

Fred Lass felasstic at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 12:45:30 EST 2007

In my opinion, the idea that a VHF QSO party participant might abuse the 4 band rules is overblown.

Let's say that you intend to operate the four low bands, but 1 hour into the contest your 222 rig fails and cannot be repaired.  To salvage the contest you fire up your 1296 equipment and run the rest of the contest without 222.  I don't believe that such a predicament should be outlawed.

However, the log checking robot would have a difficult time with fair log checking unless the 222 QSOs are submitted.

Even if someone wants to operate on 5 bands and select the best four later, who is harmed by that?  I wouldn't want to waste my time on a fifth band, but that would be my decision, not any unwritten "ethics" rules.

73,  Fred  K2TR

aa4zz at aol.com wrote:
?I know of no time (at least here in the SE) where a 1296 score would ever approach the score of? well equipped 222 station. I also think a pass from 1296 to a lower band very unlikely and certainly not common enough to significantly effect scores.
?? For us at AA4ZZ 1296 is run just to help?others and frankly if it affects our score, it is to lower it, because of the lost time and focus from the other bands.

73 Paul AA4ZZ

Allowing a "limited multi" station with more than four bands to operate
the contest on all of their available bands opens the door for "cherry
picking" the best four bands after the contest is over for their limited
multi-op entry.  For example, 50/144/432 are usually the best three, but
operating both 222 and 1.2G during the contest and picking the best band
and the "fourth" is unfair, and is in no way within the intent of the
rules.  In addition, to be fair such an entry should not be allowed to
pass any station "from" any band which they will not be claiming in
their "official" score.

While I acknowledge the point Robert is trying to make, there is a dark
"other" side to this which I think gets ignored.

Allowing a "limited multi" station with more than four bands to operate
the contest on all of their available bands opens the door for "cherry
picking" the best four bands after the contest is over for their limited
multi-op entry.  For example, 50/144/432 are usually the best three, but
operating both 222 and 1.2G during the contest and picking the best band
and the "fourth" is unfair, and is in no way within the intent of the
rules.  In addition, to be fair such an entry should not be allowed to
pass any station "from" any band which they will not be claiming in
their "official" score.

I sense Robert is trying to prevent the contest's rules from
inadvertently creating any negative impact on activity levels.  This is
an admirable goal, but IMHO the integrity of the competition takes
precedence.  I don't think it's fair to blame lower levels of microwave
activity on the limited multi category.  If people have microwave gear
and don't get on because activity is low, that's their choice.  There is
nothing forcing them to run limited multi, other than the fact that they
apparently think it's more fun.

Limited multi is what got me to buy equipment for 50/144/222/432 and try
to pull together a bunch of guys to operate the contest.  While I think
microwaves are cool, and I admire the guys who go to the trouble to get
it working, to me it's more work and $$$ than I'm willing to undertake.

There's two sides...

73,

Dave/K8CC