[VHFcontesting] APRS while roving

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 06:14:24 EST 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Mike McCarty <kb8yhv at amsat.org>

Sounds like it's OK, but only for self spotting for rovers and then
 only multi-op stations can use it, as it constitutes a spotting
network.  No HamIM between stations to facilitate QSOs.  Yes, the new
 rules allow APRS, to some extent, but limit what
can be done with it.

Assuming simplex packet is a valid digital mode for VHF contests, I
 guess only those using packet in connected mode would
be able to log it, as any sort of unconnected means would constitute
 APRS transmissions, which seems to be limited to self spotting
only for rovers...

Mac,
HamIM is a strategy defined as "APRS on simplex".  When used, it happens on 147.585 MHz rather than 144.39 MHz (where APRS hangs out).  It is fully allowed for all participants (including single ops).

You and I both understand that the rules changes now appear to allow "fully assisted APRS" (on 144.39), but only for Rovers (in TX-only mode) and Multi-ops (in RX-only mode).

The implications of this rule are that multi ops will know "when/where rovers are".  I'm actually thinking about entering as a multi-op, just to play with these changes a little for myself. (I play to have fun...which I don't define by how I place relative to the "top 10"). :)

Ev, W2EV