[VHFcontesting] Birdie problem on 50MHz

JT Croteau jt.n1ese at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 10:23:56 EDT 2007

Having a slight issue with my newly built 50MHz station.  Transverter
is an Elecraft XV50 I built myself and the IF rig is a K2.

I have a birdie problem too close for comfort to the 50MHz SSB calling
frequency of 50.125.  The noise is about 22 dB above the noise floor
at it's peak.  The noise starts to come into my passband around
50.125.35 and is present for ~2 KHz.

Here is a spectrogram plot of it taken at 50.126.45:
http://n1ese.qrpradio.com/images/birdie.jpg

and here is a recording I made as I tune the VFO from 50.125 through
roughly 50.128:
http://n1ese.qrpradio.com/sounds/50mhzBirdie.mp3

Any ideas how to track down something like this and does it look like
a problem internal to my K2 or XV50 or does it sound like it might be
external somewhere in the environment around the shack?

Thanks

--
JT Croteau, N1ESE - Manchester, NH (FN42gx)