[VHFcontesting] KC8QVO/R post contest

steve d kc8qvo at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 10 10:16:18 EDT 2007

I messed up the adress the first time and sent this again as a forwarded message to the group but somehow it went through as an attatchment HI. SO.. hopefully this time around it gets in.

  Well I wrapped things up today in EN80. I got out to the site around noon and stayed until 4pm. The bands were pretty bad today. I struggled to make a few contacts - all of them were relatively local. The furthest was K8GP in FM08. 144 and 432 were relatively easy (432 was real weak, but still easy).. then when I hit 6m the whole game changed. I could barely hear K8GP. I ended up calling one of their ops on 144 to have the 6m op try to pick me out of the noise HI. It worked, it took some time but it worked.

I heard some strange propogation from K5QE on 6 - it was like a cross between MS and tropo. The signal was real weak and only there occasionally. Several times there was a warbling tone too - as you would expect from tropo. I never did get through.

Pictures (note, there are two sub albums - day 1 and day 2): http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o117/KC8QVO/2007%20September%20ARRL%20VHF%20contest/

  73's and thanks for those that hung in there to get the QSO's through!
  Steve, KC8QVO