[VHFcontesting] K3LFO Rover September VHF

k3lfo k3lfo at arrl.net
Wed Sep 12 07:01:26 EDT 2007

We sure didn't even come close to breaking any records but WOW!

We started in FM27 at a fairly slow pace and felt conditions were flat.
Not much heard from the NE and just the regular regional stations
heard.  We did make our first 2304,  away from home, contest QSO with
K1RZ in FM19.  Signals were much better than in my driveway 15 miles
from Dave.  Moving up to FM28 conditions remained the same as well as in
FM29 during late evening.  We drove through FM18 on our way west. I
forgot to fire up during the short pass through FM18 until we were
almost out of the grid.  One contact was made to officially activate the
grid.

We got a short but good nights rest and headed to a school in FM19 the
next morning.  Conditions seemed to be a little better but activity was
low.  After a short stay we headed out to FM09 at Sideling Hill.
Conditions and activity remained the same until near the end of our stay
when we worked K1TEO in FN31 on 1296.

When we set up down in FM08 on Skyline drive the bands seem to explode
with activity and fantastic signals all the way up to 2304 where we
completed with W2SZ in FN32.  K1WHS and K1TR in FN43 as well as others
in FN42 and FN41 sounded like local FM repeaters they were so strong.
K1RZ actually pegged the s meter on the 706 for both 1295 and 2304! Dave
(W3DIO) while operating 2 meters, had what sounded like a DX pile up
going on for 20 or 30 minutes!

Thanks to all the stations that worked us during our rove.  It was
really fun!

73,

Jim K3LFO/R
Dave W3DIO