[VHFcontesting] Contest rules and rovering

Stephen Hicks, N5AC n5ac at n5ac.com
Thu Sep 13 20:08:17 EDT 2007

The same situation also exists for rovers.  For example, I might rove near a
fixed station and work him on all bands while I'm close and get that grid on
those bands.  Later, if I am 300 miles away, all I can get for working him
is QSO points.  So for a difficult QSO that might take several minutes, I
have to decide if I would be better off to proceed to the next grid and keep
on moving on rather than spend that kind of time.  I have often called a
distant multiop station on 2m, asked to work the microwave station and
received a "he's busy, but I'll tell him you'd like to work him."  If I
can't get a quick idea for a timeframe when I can work him, I know that it's
just points for me (although multipliers for him).  So I move on...  I often
hear about this later from fixed stations that aren't tracking me (why
didn't we work you on xxx band in yyy grid?), but the ones who track me know
where I am and generally work me on the bands I have in most grids.

Steve, N5AC