[VHFcontesting] Contest rules and rovering

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Thu Sep 13 20:48:23 EDT 2007

Hi John,

It's sad, but it happens.  It happened to me in both of the grids I made
it to this past contest, with the same station.  He was  an easy contact
on 2m, but when I asked for other bands he told me he would be on 6 in a
couple of hours.  I wanted to say, "dude, I'm a Rover.  I'll be gone in
a couple of hours!"   But I didn't.  If he wants to loose the easy
point, it's his choice.  A couple hours later I found him on 2m again
from my next grid, and got the same dismissal.  To make it even worse, I
later heard him work another Rover in a distant grid and HE asked that
Rover to run the bands....  Apparently that Rover was in a new grid for him.

It's annoying.  It hurt his score by passing up easy points.  But it's
his station, his choice.

For a multi to do it sounds like a rookie operator.  I don't think any
experienced contester would pass up easy points, particularly on microwaves.

For example, the guys at K8GP tried me on 432 several times, even though
I'm sure they worked the grid dozens of times.

I just wish folks would consider even though they may not need my grid,
I may need theirs!   You may not need/want the points, but I do!!  Throw
the Rover a bone:-)

73
Dan
--