[VHFcontesting] 222 Sprint results

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Tue Apr 15 23:39:18 EDT 2008

There is still snow in the woods here, and I just managed to get the truck up the road for the first time this past weekend. I hauled some diesel fuel in anticipation of running in the 222 Sprint. (Gotta have fuel to make electricity!)  On Tuesday evening, I loaded the truck with an exciter, boxes of gear etc. and started to hook up the 222 setup. I got the reciver running about 7:45 PM.   Imagine my surprise when I turned on the preamp supply and saw S9 garbage all over the band. It peaked on my heading towards New York City and all points down along the East Coast. It sounded like video buzz. My 222 receiver has a large bath tub  style bandpass filter ahead of everything so it is not overloaded by out of band signals.. The filter passes just 222 to 225 MHz and attenuates everything else. Still the video was there and covering up everything to the Southwest. I was ready to quit right there. In checking with the locals, KU2A, AC1J, and AF1T all hear it as well. It was really a mess. Dale and KU2A verified that it is Channel 9 video from Manchester, NH.
    Well, needless to say I could not hear much through that wall of noise and raspy buzzing. I parked my beam with a null fixed on Manchester to knock the noise down. My heading was out toward Western PA, about 245 degrees, but I still managed to snag a few stations down the coast including K3CB, WS3C, and K1RZ. I am not sure how I managed that through S8 to S9 crud! Nothing worked to the Northeast of me save for Neil, N1DGF about 20 miles away. I did manage a few grids out to the West like FN12, FN13 and VE3ZV in EN93. I managed to work three out of the eight grids that abut my own grid. That is a bit pathetic. We need more activity, but we seem to keep getting less!
    I ended up with 41 Qs and 19 grids, but if I cannot get that S9 video interference fixed, the 222 band will be useless here. Between the powerline noise and now this video garbage, I am ready to slit my wrists.

73
Dave K1WHS