[VHFcontesting] Rovers ROCK! as long as...

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 10:17:13 EST 2008

...they are operating in the same contest as I am.

ARRL rover rules have unwittingly created a CWAC (Contest Within A Contest).  In today's ARRL contests (not the Fall Sprints, by the way) Rovers are encouraged to create packs for the expressed purpose of engaging in a road rally, using Amateur radio logging as a "governer" to slow their driving activity.

That is *not* the contest that I compete in.  That one is designed to "work as many amateur *stations* in as many different 2 degrees x 1 degree grid squares as possible using authorized frequencies above 50 MHz. Foreign stations work W/VE amateurs only." (from the Rules for the ARRL's January 2009 VHF Sweepstakes, emphasis is mine).

I would feel the same way, if "Foreign stations" worked each other, submitted their logs and were recognized for their efforts.

Crackers for the cranium.
Ev, W2EV