[VHFcontesting] Why don't you rove?

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 06:31:50 EST 2008

> From: James Duffey <JamesDuffey at comcast.net>
> why don't you rove? Why don't you try roving?

I have roved, and haven't for a long time. Excellence is no longer rewarded for contributing to the art of communication as much as it is in precise driving skill. I prefer communication.

> How much do rovers add to your VHF contesting experience?

Those that employ strategies that open them to partake in real communication with others (high power, good antennas, using an IDer/CQer and bands that others use [ABCD, as a base], etc.) provide me with an awesome reward.  Others simply annoy me.

> If you have roved and stopped, why did you stop?

Competitive roving (even low-scoring rovers can compete) has morphed into a clock-managed road rally involving closed groups.  That's not "me".

> I find roving rewarding, envigorating, challenging,
> educational, and for the life of me don't understand why everyone
> doesn't try it at least once.

As did I...in the early years.  I still think of roving from time-to-time. Who knows...maybe I'll try to jumpstart my interest by watching the Daytona 500 (drive fast, in circles). :)

Ev, W2EV