[VHFcontesting] [VHF] KJ6KO V2 1296 Amp T/R switching

Howard W3CQH hsgorden at comcast.net
Wed Dec 17 10:36:25 EST 2008

Les,

T/R = Transmit/Receive

You will need a uhf relay with 3 contacts (depending on how much power you
are running and what type of connectors you are using) - the common contact
is the input from your antenna.  The Transmit side of the relay is the open
connection of the relay and that goes to the output of the transmitter.  The
closed side of thee relay goes to your receiver input.  So that when you key
the transmitter the closed side opens and the open side closes.  The relay
should be mounted inside of your transceiver or radio.. if you don't have a
mechanical relay already installed by the manufacture of your radio, you
probably have some switching diodes that would have to be disconnected and
the lines reconnected to the relay.  Or the relay could be mounted on your
mast in the same configuration.

I would like to suggest that you might read up on relays in the ARRL Amateur
Radio Handbook.. Just about every edition has information on relays..

73's - I am sure that others will chime in on the subject.. de Howard W3CQH