[VHFcontesting] Looking for a 1.2 GHz antenna.

Robert Cumming w2bzy at cfl.rr.com
Sat Feb 2 16:38:40 EST 2008

Alan

Have used the Directive Systems Loopers here in Florida's weather
with no problems.  The 47EL 902, 55EL 1296 and 76 el 2304 went
through 3 Hurricanes here in Orlando with no problems.  The 112 EL
one for 3456 has only been up for little over 1 year but performs
well with no problems.

As to M2, Their antennas also hold up well, I have their antennas up
for HF (KT34M2) and VHF - 6M7JHV, a pair of 2m-5WLs, 222-7WL and a
pair of 432-13WLs.  The only problems I have had was one broken
insulator (and a few cracked ones on the KT34A before I did the M2
Mods on it.  The rest weathered the storms well.

One Caveat, Make sure the connectors are sealed with RTV or Coax
Seal.  Here in Florida's wild swings of summer temperatures,  I have
seen the Cavity in the "N" connector fill up with water from sucking
in moist air when the connector cools down in a summer
Thunderstorm.  I have good luck with Andrews D Connector
Weatherproofing Kits Andrews Part Number 221213(it helps to have
friends in the Cel Tower business).  The kits contain Butyl rubber
tape (commercial grade Coax Seal) and Scotch brand Plastic tape.

One layer of the Butyl Rubber Tape to seal the connector and the
plastic (3 layers to complete the job.  Andrews also makes a "Cold
Shrink" product  for sealing splices that I can't vouch for.    I
have never had water intrusion on any cable here in Central Florida's
Greenhouse weather using this method.

VRY 73
Bob Cumming
W2BZY