[VHFcontesting] LoTW for Rovers

Bruce Richardson w9fz at w9fz.com
Thu Feb 14 12:57:41 EST 2008

Thanks for all the tips!

I'm glad to report that I've uploaded logs from two
contests.
UHF 2007
JUN VHF 2007

Those two logs mean 644 QSOs. So far, there are 43 matches
which is like a 7% rate.  Most QSLs by number go to K9NS and
N2BJ--but there are others.

Just in case any others go down this road as a rover, here
is a step-by-step on what I had to do. As some of you know,
I log in the car on paper logs.  That's what works for me.
In a few recent contests, as a verification of my manual
scoring, I've tediously typed in the entire log into
RoverLog.  In one case, it helped me resolve something.

1. Get a LOTW certificate for a basic callsign. (Use
TQSLcert)
2. Get a certificate for callsign with /R .   (Use TQSLcert)
3. Use RoverLog's IniEd utility to set the log file name to
one retained from an earlier contest.
3a. Set the contest .ini file to an appropriate file.
3b. Save and close IniEd
4. Run RoverLog
4a. Under File > Export save the file in ADIF format (with a
unique name). Note that the extension will be .adf
5. Using Notepad, call up the .adf file.  Highlight and copy
(Cntrl-C) the lines from a given "location".  Generally this
will be from any specific grid. But technically, if you are
in two different locations within the same grid, you should
only peel out the Q's from one location.
5a. Paste the q's (Cntrl-V) into a new (notepad) file and
save with a unique name but give it an .adi extension (TQSL
will need that).
6. Call up TQSL. Under Station > Add Location develop
locations from where you operated.
6a. If you are a stickler for details (as I am) Google ITU
Zone Map, and CQ Zone Map to learn your appropriate Zones
FOR YOUR OPERATING LOCATIONS.  Further, (and this takes some
work), research the counties you were in at that location.
I selected my /R callsign (certificate) as part of each
location. You'll have an opportunity to change the callsign
later if needed.
6b. Build your locations with unique names.  Fortunately,
I've revisited some of the same locations in subsequent
roves.
7. Using TQSL--Under File > Sign an existing ADIF/Cabrillo
file... Pick a location, say ok, pick the appropriate .adi
file, say ok, and it generates a .TQ8 file in the same
directory.
8. Go to ARRL LOTW and upload the .TQ8 file(s). Wait minutes
(occasionally up to a few hours), and Bingo, they are in.

I have the Sep 07 VHF logs parted out to locations. Now I
need to research my actual locations in Illinois for
counties.  Once I build those locations, I'll finish up
submitting that contest to LOTW.  Not sure what I'll do for
other contests in the past.

Thanks for the hand-holding.  I think the barrier to use of
LOTW is a bit too high for Rovers. One of my motivations for
roving is to assist fixed stations with additional
multipliers during contests and new grids for their awards
collecting.  Since LOTW is meant to assist those chasing
awards certificates, I wish the benefit of rovers could be
realized a bit more easily.

73
Bruce Richardson W9FZ/R