[VHFcontesting] ARRL Jan VHF W9SZ Single Op LP

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Mon Jan 21 11:27:40 EST 2008

                      ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: W9SZ
Operator(s): W9SZ
Station: W9SZ

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN50
Operating Time (hrs): 10

      2:   7      6
    222:   2      2
    432:   3      3
-------------------
Total:  12     11  Total Score = 187

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I guess I made a "token appearance" in this one.  Murphy was not kind to me this
weekend.

I put up the antennas Saturday morning on a 25 foot mast in my yard with a
rotor at the bottom at ground level.  It was bitterly cold and I only put up
the 144, 222 and 432 antennas.  I had planned to also put up 1296 but had to
forego that before I got frostbite.

Then I found out the rotor didn't work. Shortly after that, when I rigged an
armstrong rotor, I found that a tree which hadn't been very tall in the
September contest had grown and was in the way of the antennas and I could only
rotate from northwest through north to northeast anyway. I didn't feel like
chopping it down in the cold.

I only heard and worked a few people compared to past contests. Apparently not
many people were pointing their beams my way. I suspect the Packers game took
away many of the casual ops who get on during the last few hours of VHF
contests on Sunday to hand out a few QSO's.

Enough of the "crying towel" story. I'm looking forward to the warmer weather
contests!

73, Zack W9SZ