[VHFcontesting] Police Your Peers - Re: internet contest

Gerry Hull gerry at w1ve.com
Fri Jan 25 14:21:45 EST 2008

Steve,

"There are many many stations out there not playing fair.  This is not a
hobby to them, it is a all out
war with all rules expendable when winning the contestis at stake.  I have
seen it, many of you have too."

<vent>

Name names, specific times, dates, frequencies, etc.  Give Details.   If any
of what you say is true, people would be disqualified.

Do contesters push the limits?  Absolutely.   It's the nature of it being a
CONTEST.   Contesters, by nature, are push-the-limit folks!

How about those guys doing 802.11b?  That's AWESOME!  Even if it nets 1 or 2
QSOs, that could meanone or two new mults, which could be the difference
between a win and a loss. Yet, here on this reflector, people worry about
the "legality" of making 802.11 QSOs....

WA1ZMS had exactly ONE QSO in the January contest.   He probably will not
win.  Yet, he made a 114km QSO on 241GHz, a new world record.   Now -- the
gear for the band is incredibly rare, expensive and bleeding edge...
Should we complain about  his pushing the envelope?

If you don't like the heat, get out of the kitchen -- which you obviously
did. Thats too bad -- it makes less QSOs for everyone.
Year after year, people fill these reflectors with bellyaching and
innuendo about who-did-what and why they should be disqualified.
It's called sore-loser syndrome.

Many want to keep everything the way it is -- no Internet, no APRS, no
anything new.

Well, guess what?   We live in a majority-rules world.

Have you ever taken the time to write contest committee members and voice
your opinion on these matters?
If so, great.   If not, don't waste your time complaining here....  It might
make you feel good, but it's not going to change anything.
If you want to win, you have to use every possible tool available to you.
That is the nature of sport.  As technology advances,
the number and types of tools WILL change.   Digital EME, APRS,
802.11g anyone?
(vigorous debate on ANY of these tools is GREAT, but using new tools does
not constitute cheating unless specifically prohibited in the rules.)

And, if you just enjoy running around to a bunch of locations making QSOs,
as many rovers do, more power to you!  That's a lot of fun too.

Oh, and one final word about policing -- Amateur Radio contests are
self-policing.   If you cheat to win and you do not get caught, it is an
"empty" win.   However, if you cheat and get caught by fellow amateurs,
you'll probably be disqualified.

</vent>

Steve, I hope to see you again in VHFContests --- we all need
participation.

73,

Gerry, W1VE / VE1RM / 6Y6C