[VHFcontesting] Camelback Mountain?

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Tue Jul 1 15:04:28 EDT 2008

I'm already looking ahead to the September VHF QSO Party and am looking for new places in different grids.  I think I've about had it with the Virginia Beach area.  Its just too flat and its too difficult to get people to aim their beams down that way.  The other problem is, with the circular route that I've been taking, most of my contacts are inside the circle which limits the number of multipliers I can get.

So this time, I'm looking at a start in the Pocono Mountains near the intersection of FN21/11/20/10.  It looks like Camelback Mountain in Big Pocono State Park has good views to New York, New Jersey and the North East.

Is this a familiar spot?  Is is easily accessible for a rover with a rack of antennas?  Are the views as good as it looks on paper?  Are there better choices in the area?

I'm at work and can't access the usual rover web sites.  I know I could wait until I get home and look those up, but things are slow today.

Thanks as usual,

Steve - K4GUN/R