[VHFcontesting] Contest plans for the CQWW VHF contest, July 19th and 20th

Bruce Junkin ki7ja at msn.com
Wed Jul 2 08:23:41 EDT 2008

I wasn't intending on doing this yet, but made the mistake of sending this to the FFMA group instead of to just one person.  Here are my tentative plans for the CQWW VHF contest on the 19th and 20th of July.

I am considering heading to DN12 for the July CQWW VHF contest.  Nothing firm yet, but I am looking at maps and Google Earth trying to see if there is SOMEWHERE I can camp out there.  One problem is that temps will be near 100 degrees or above, and this time of year there are sometimes Thunder storms in that area.  Not a good time to be on a hilltop with a bunch of aluminum in the air.  I will have the same equipment with about 300w on 6M and 2M, 200w on 222 and 140~150w on 432, perhaps 903, and definitely 1296.  I have repaired the interface cable to the radio, so I will have WSJT as well.  The 5 element 6M antenna that did not work has been re-built as a four element, that it started out as.  At least I know that antenna works like it should.  Like I said, nothing firm yet, I am still toying with the idea.  I would be in the SE corner of Oregon for the contest (if things work out).  Just food for thought.  I'll keep you informed as the day approaches.  Best 73's.

Bruce, KI7JA