[VHFcontesting] Antenna Coupling Issues

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Fri Jul 11 09:48:07 EDT 2008

Some local VHF'ers have raised a concern about the proximity of my various V/U antennas mounted inside my attic. I have a total of five antennas mounted on a single 11 foot mast. The arrangement is very similar to the typical rover setup. Their speculation is that I should be careful about adding any additional TX power, as strong signals might damage pre-amps and/or the front ends of the various transceivers.

I lack any sophisticated measuring equipment to accurately gauge the exact extent of coupling. SWR-wise, there is little to no interaction between the antennas, and it possible to operate both 6 & 2 Meters at the same time without any interference.

Currently, I'm running 100 watts or less on each of the bands. But have newly purchased amps for 2 Meters and 432 that would take those bands up to 200 watts on 2 Meters and 300 watts on 432.

I know this is asking a lot of generalities, when specifics would be needed to be certain, but here are my questions:

1. At what power levels (typically) does this begin to be an issue?

2. Are there steps that I can take to minimize the coupling, and protect the pre-amps and radios?

3. What do rovers in similar situations do to prevent problems?

As always, I'm in debt to those of you who are so willing to share their experience. Thanks!

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film