[VHFcontesting] [VHF] Antenna Coupling Issues

kr7o at vhfdx.com kr7o at vhfdx.com
Fri Jul 11 17:34:58 EDT 2008

I have been happy with the ICE 6 and 2m bandpass filters and they are
inexpensive.  On 6m I run the 200w 50-50.5MHz filter after the radio and
the 6KW filter after the 8877.  On 2M I run the 200w filter after the
driver amp (don't think they make a high power 2m model).  My 2m yagi is
mounted between two 6m yagis (and about 6' above the lower one).  Without
them I had severe noise problems to the other radio when transmitting.  I
do not notice (or sometimes only barely detect) cross band interference
unless I am pointing directly at the shack (and that is probably
common-mode RFI).  ICE doesn't list the 6m QRO filter on their website anymore.

I learned that filters are necessary at QRO levels with close spaced
antennas (and probably at the 100w level depending on spacing).  One year I
threw up a third 6m yagi on a separate mast about 5' above my HF yagi for
the June contest and proceeded to burn out the preamp in the HF radio the
first time I transmitted on that antenna with only 600w.