[VHFcontesting] Looking for input on multiband VHF/UHF all mode rigs

Ellen Rugowski ellenjoanne2003 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 15 23:29:04 EDT 2008

Hi Mike,

Yes, I'm intimately familiar with the FT-736R.  I had one from 1995 till
1999 (when I had to sell it, in order to pay some bills, due to a stretch of
hard financial times).  Many times I ran mine barefoot.  I already had a 6m
rig (an FT-690R Mk II) at the time, so I set my '736R up for 2, 222, 432, &
1296.  All of my killer tropo was worked with my '736R.  My only concern is
the 1296 band module.  When I got my 1296 module (and 220 module for that
matter) in the mid 90s, I paid about $500 plus for it. Nowadays, not only
are they hard to come by, but pricey to boot.  The last 1296 module I saw on
ePay went for well over $700 or $800.  I was surprised, when read a couple
of years ago, that the internal power supplies in the FT-736R were skanky.
I never had any problems with mine, and I used it protable outdoors at my
parents' place all of the time.  One of the times, was when I was stupid
enough to work the January contest from my parents' detached, unheated
garage. The temp was 3 below.  Whenever I tuned around, I'd get a burst of
noise from the PLL.  I kept on expecting it to unlock.  I almost suffered
hypothermia (in spite of wearing heavy winter clothing).  Never again.

73,
Ellen - AF9J
EN52xx