[VHFcontesting] Looking for input on multiband VHF/UHF

Bruce Richardson w9fz at w9fz.com
Wed Jul 16 12:31:48 EDT 2008

Hi All:

I know this is a great question that Ellen has posed.  And
she added good qualifiers to which many of you have sent
good suggestions.

I have a rave to tout that doesn't comply with Ellen's needs
however :-) .

I think the Yeasu FT-897 is a great radio!  I like it's
power levels on 6,2, and 432.  And best of all, using the
W0ZQ articles in the 2007 and 2008 CSVHFS Proceedings, one
can add the DEM 222 Xverter right into the battery bay.
With the Power module, you'll be at 25w level--perfect for
spanking a brick to 120w.  While I've not done the mod (yet)
to my rig, the articles sure make it seem "not too tough".

73
Bruce Richardson W9FZ