[VHFcontesting] Looking for input on multiband VHF/UHF

Dan Evans dan.evans at insightbb.com
Wed Jul 16 12:49:30 EDT 2008

I agree with Bruce.  Particularly if you start considering "bang for the
buck".

I've been using my '897D in the Rover for about a year now, and have
been very happy with it.  It seems to do a fine job on 6,2, and 432.
I'm sure if you live on Kilowatt Alley some extra filtering would be of
help, but my stock unit has seemed fine even in the big 6 meter openings
during the June VHF and Field Day.

No 222 here yet, but the "built in transverter mod" sounds
interesting.   Although I have an HTX100 I've been planning to dedicate
to a transverter as soon as I can afford to buy another one.

If I were setting up a strictly desktop station I may go another route
as well, but the Yaesu FT897D is pretty hard to beat.   Of course, I
hear the Icom IC7000 is a dandy rig as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose,

73
Dan
--