[VHFcontesting] Hail Damage to antennas

Wm. Glenn Pearson glenn.pearson at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 17 00:36:29 EDT 2008

 We had a major hail storm Mother's Day causing serious damage here at the
home and the local area to roofs, gutters and automobiles. This was a freak
storm for this area (near Charlotte, NC). I have 6 old Cushcraft 424B
antennas at 100 ft with a 1296 mhz loop yagi mounted with them. Since the
storm I have had noticeable degradation to lobe patterns, particularly on
1296.

I am wondering if any of the members of this list have experienced hail
damage to their antenna arrays. I am betting that someone from an area of
the country where hail storms are more common may be more knowledgeable.
Unfortunately I am no longer able to climb and I hope to convince the
insurance adjuster to approve an independent contractor to evaluate things
for me.

Thanks for any help.

Glenn, WA4GP