[VHFcontesting] Microwave modules transverter question

David Olean k1whs at metrocast.net
Thu Jul 17 08:22:29 EDT 2008

Hello Tim,
    I had to repair my 432 MMT unit as the driver amp, a plastic transistor
on the main board decided to go flakey on me. It was the last stage before
the 432 energy goes into the PA die cast box.  It caused the same problem
that you see...very low output on TX.  The receiver worked just fine. All my
MMTs are long gone and the manuals went with them, so I can't give you more
info. Tuning the IF to 27 MHz could cause a drop in power when using 28 MHz,
but I would not expect more than maybe 2 or 3 dB max drop. You are talking
about 10 dB or more. I would suspect a plastic transistor decided to go
belly up. (It could be other bad parts too) Best way is to check for rf in
the various stages after the mixer. The 404 MHz LO must be fine as you can
receive OK.  The TX stages are along the back of the board away from the
side with all the connections. You can see the 432 drive signal where it
goes into the PA die cast box thru a small low capacitance feed thru
bushing.  You can test the level with attenuators and a power meter or a
spectrum analyzer.  Some lucky souls may have a scope that goes that high in
frequency. That makes checking it rather painless.  Of course the PA could
be hosed too. Seeing that it connects to the outside world, it is a likely
culprit. If you see significant drive going into the PA box, then the PA
could be dead. How about current draqin on TX? You should see idling current
from the PA stage. If it is very low, that could mean trouble in the PA.
High current means trouble too. I seem to recall that 12 vdc at 700-900 ma
is about normal. I think 250 ma or so on receive was normal too. If you send
CW or talk on SSB, the idling current should jump well up to over 2 amps on
peaks. If you see a small increase on voice peaks, then I would suspect a
lack of droive to the PA. All this will hopefully help you zero in on the
problem.

Dave K1WHS