[VHFcontesting] What was the true intent of the changes?

frank bechdoldt k3uhf at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 26 19:18:09 EDT 2008

Ok, I will stand corrected on that one.

However, my opinion is if one team posts massive scores it skews it for all of us who don't team rove and a firm division is needed.

I suppose if it was never posted, the comunity as a whole would of never known it was going on.
It's as if they are testing the waters.

Good Luck wi> From: wa4kxy at bellsouth.net> To: k3uhf at hotmail.com; k4gun at comcast.net; jamesduffy at comcastnet.com; vhfcontesting at contesting.com> Subject: RE: [VHFcontesting] What was the true intent of the changes?> Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 18:53:08 -0400> > I don't recall anyone in the VUAC saying that we would not revisit the rover> rules in the future. As a matter of fact we specifically said that we would> wait a year or two to see how things worked out and then suggest additional> changes to the rover rules if needed. We have moved onto other things in> the meantime. I think you would all agree that it is not a good use of our> time to sit around and do nothing while we wait to see what happens with the> rover rules. The intent of the rules changes put in place this year was to> address concerns that had been expressed by many with regards to the rover> rules, especially with regards to grid circling. It was our intent that by> creating an unlimited rover class and then putting a 100 Q limit on contacts> between two rovers in the other two classes (classic and limited) that would> encourage the folks that like to pack rove and/or grid circle to operate in> the unlimited class. We may or may not have succeeded in doing that.> Frankly, I am taking a wait and see attitude on this. All we have now is a> sample of exactly two contests (January and June) and a bunch of controversy> based on some comments made in one entrants soap box.> > 73> Jim, W4KXY> VUAC Southeastern Division Representative> > -----Original Message-----> From: vhfcontesting-bounces at contesting.com> [mailto:vhfcontesting-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of frank bechdoldt> Sent: Saturday, July 26, 2008 5:47 PM> To: k4gun at comcast.net; jamesduffy at comcastnet.com;> vhfcontesting at contesting.com> Subject: [VHFcontesting] What was the true intent of the changes?> > > I don't mean to pick on a volenteer. I think we thought there was a> comprimise here or a gentelman's agreement. When I say write the contest> comittee it's because some in the VUAC said they are not going to address it> again. The entire contest and the awards and ect are a living document and> change as practices and technology change.> > The A in VUAC is Advisory and its just that, they offered advice, the ARRl> made the final decision. I'm now unclear if they meant to clean it up. If> that was the intent then work is needed. If it wasnt the intent then it is> what it is and team roving and grid circling has became 3 times as rewarding> as result. Perhaps that was the intent and I was wrong.> > What was the true intent of the rule change?> If rules dictate behavior, has the goal been met?> > Thats the unfortunate thing of declairing mission acomplished and moving on.> The effort is appriciated even if the intent isnt understood.> > > > > From: k4gun at comcast.netTo: k3uhf at hotmail.com; jamesduffy at comcastnet.com;> vhfcontesting at contesting.comSubject: Re: [VHFcontesting] to answer the other> question.Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 21:14:44 +0000> This is perhaps the best summary I have seen to describe what I see as the> problem. I commend the VUAC for making an attempt to clean it up and I> don't think there's any need to criticize their efforts. I'm hoping that> they see that a little more tweaking is needed. > > Steve> > -------------- Original message -------------- From: frank bechdoldt> <k3uhf at hotmail.com> > > The rules have watered this down some, you need to> have a bigger team to do the > same thing and the team can now feed off each> other to dominate 3 rover classes. > > If this is a competition where you> hope to achieve something and compair your > efforts to others then it is> truely pointless as long as this is allowed to go > on. If you are in it for> fun or to help hand out grids, then its good. But many > of us would like to> compete on a level playing field where we dont have to round > up a half> dozen buddies to rack up a decent score. > >> _________________________________________________________________ > With> Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. >> http://www.windowsliv> e.com/mobile/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_mobile_072008 >> _______________________________________________ > VHFcontesting mailing list> > VHFcontesting at contesting.com > http://lists.contesting.c> om/mailman/listinfo/vhfcontesting > _________________________________________________________________> With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you.> http://www.windowslive.com/mobile/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_mobile_072> 008> _______________________________________________> VHFcontesting mailing list> VHFcontesting at contesting.com> http://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/vhfcontesting> >