[VHFcontesting] What was the true intent of the changes?

Jim Worsham wa4kxy at bellsouth.net
Sat Jul 26 18:53:08 EDT 2008

I don't recall anyone in the VUAC saying that we would not revisit the rover
rules in the future.  As a matter of fact we specifically said that we would
wait a year or two to see how things worked out and then suggest additional
changes to the rover rules if needed.  We have moved onto other things in
the meantime.  I think you would all agree that it is not a good use of our
time to sit around and do nothing while we wait to see what happens with the
rover rules.  The intent of the rules changes put in place this year was to
address concerns that had been expressed by many with regards to the rover
rules, especially with regards to grid circling.  It was our intent that by
creating an unlimited rover class and then putting a 100 Q limit on contacts
between two rovers in the other two classes (classic and limited) that would
encourage the folks that like to pack rove and/or grid circle to operate in
the unlimited class.  We may or may not have succeeded in doing that.
Frankly, I am taking a wait and see attitude on this.  All we have now is a
sample of exactly two contests (January and June) and a bunch of controversy
based on some comments made in one entrants soap box.

73
Jim, W4KXY
VUAC Southeastern Division Representative