[VHFcontesting] "Rookie" Classification

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Mon Jul 28 16:04:47 EDT 2008

I rather like the system used by the Sprint folks, allowing first time contesters to enter as "Rookies". This allows newcomers to compete with others of similar experience, and one would presume, similar investments in their stations. Perhaps that would be a better model to encourage more folks to try their hand at roving and/or participating in the ARRL VHF contests too.

Frankly, I dislike people who love to quote rules and regulations, when common sense tells you that wasn't the intention of creating this new class. You may be within the letter of the law, but certainly not within it's spirit. If we all want to continue to enjoy VHF/UHF operating, it's better to offer some encouragement than to "win at any cost".

It was my honor to sponsor the plaque that will be awarded to the 2nd Place Limited Rover for the June 2008 VHF Contest. I'm starting to think that plaque might belong to the rightful winner of the event.

 73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
EM63nf

(And very casual contester!)